AVEO Pharmaceuticals seeks a Vice President of US Sales with a track record of utilizing creative, analytical, and innovative actions to surpass performance objectives. The ideal candidate will be a leader who embraces challenge, is highly collaborative and exhibits strategic agility in all activities.
The VP of Sales role provides a unique, highly visible opportunity to play a key leadership role in the transformation of AVEO from a development focused company to a fully integrated commercial organization. We are looking for a leader who shares the importance of collaboration, science-based selling, and effectively leveraging business analytics. A solid understanding of the oncology therapeutic area, including renal cell carcinoma, along with compassion for patients are essential.
The VP of Sales will report to the Senior Vice President of Commercial Operations and will be a key member of the senior leadership team within the company’s commercial organization. In this role, the VP of Sales will be responsible for planning, building and leading AVEO’s first US field sales force, from conceptualization to actualization. The top near term priority will be building, training and leading an outstanding sales team responsible for the successful launch and commercialization of FOTIVDA (tivozanib) in renal cell carcinoma and beyond. The role requires strong collaboration with sales operations to help design and optimize sales force sizing and alignment, along with designing and implementing incentive compensation, performance reporting and field support systems.
- Build, lead, and develop the sales organization to execute business plans and commercial strategy necessary to achieve corporate sales goals
- Work closely with Sales Operations to optimize field sizing and alignment to ensure success in environment with changing COVID-19 access restrictions
- Provide strong leadership and direction to maximize business opportunities and work collaboratively with other key functions (i.e. marketing, medical affairs, business analytics, market access) to address customer needs
- Oversee the field training function to ensure full competency within the field sales organization
- Partner with HR to develop and implement recruitment strategies, as well as employee development and performance management plans
- Work collaboratively with marketing and business analytics functions to establish aligned, annual national sales objectives and incentive compensation plans
- Use internal and external resources to collect and analyze various data sources to make sound business decisions
- Work collaboratively with Marketing to ensure product strategies and messages are being fully communicated and executed according to plan
- Work in partnership with Medical Affairs to ensure that strategies and communication are aligned
- Effectively manage sales budgets to ensure proper resourcing
- Foster innovation and breakthrough thinking in sales approaches and practices
- Create a team culture that fosters trust, ethics and compliant behavior
The Vice President, Sales position requires 15+ years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry, with an emphasis on selling in highly competitive specialty markets. Minimum of 5+ years focused on oncology is required. He/She will ideally have experience building a sales force in anticipation of an initial product launch; in the absence of commercial “startup” experience, candidates must have come from growth environments and been involved with the build out of sales organization.
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA or advanced life science degree preferred
- 15 + years of progressive experience in specialty pharmaceutical sales, including extensive field sales management and product launch experience
- Ability to provide focus and direct teams on the key metrics that drive business
- Track record of success in leading and building sales organizations
- The proven ability to translate business goals into specific objectives
- Current relationship with a network of Oncology Key Opinion Leaders
- Thorough understanding of reimbursement, distribution and access specifically for oral and IV oncology products
- Results oriented and able to thrive within a fast paced, hands on entrepreneurial environment.
- Strong analytical, strategic and business planning skills
- Outstanding communication skills, places high emphasis on building cross functional relationships, teamwork/ and collaboration
- Entrepreneurial spirit, the ability to foster relationships and the ability to develop innovative ideas and solutions
- Strong understanding of legal and regulatory environments
AVEO Oncology (AVEO) is a biopharmaceutical company dedicated to advancing a broad portfolio of targeted therapeutics for oncology and other areas of unmet medical need. The Company is focused on seeking to develop and commercialize its lead candidate tivozanib, a potent, selective, long half-life inhibitor of vascular endothelial growth factor 1, 2 and 3 receptors, in North America as a treatment for renal cell carcinoma and other cancers. AVEO is leveraging multiple partnerships aimed at developing and commercializing tivozanib in oncology indications outside of North America, and at progressing its pipeline of novel therapeutic candidates in cancer and cachexia (wasting syndrome). Tivozanib (FOTIVDA®) is approved by the European Commission for the treatment of adult patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma (RCC) in the European Union plus Norway and Iceland.